Significance of Offsite Backup
The most crucial asset of any business, irrespective of its size, is its data. The loss of even a small amount of its valuable data can put it at risk. The best solution to prevent this from happening: Offsite Backup. Offsite backup simply means creating duplicate copies of enterprise files or data in a different geographic location, such as in a different building or at an online cloud storage facility. Offsite backup is also known as vaulting and offsite data protection. It is very much essential for recovering your lost data from various potential disasters.
Benefits of Offsite Backup
Offsite backup, in addition to serving as a profitable new source of iterating revenue for growing IT Managed Service Providers (MSPs), also acts as a solution to the backup challenges of clients. The clear benefits of offsite backup include the following:
- Automated backups: Offsite backup usually eliminates the human component of the backup strategy. When a client requests for an offsite backup service from an MSP, the company deploys Agent Software to the client site. Once the data to be backed up are selected, the system sets the necessary options. All latest data will automatically be transferred by the offsite backup software, at a pre-scheduled time (twice daily, overnight, etc.).
- Backup data verification: The responsibility to make sure that the right data is backed up, and the backup is done successfully, is also held by the MSP. Usually, verification of the backed up data is laborious and time consuming. Offsite backup makes this process much effortless and much more efficient. It allows swift searches of ordered client data to find the required files and enables quick restoration of these files for testing.
- Centralized management: Managing hundreds of client backups can be a strenuous task for businesses. Offsite backup provides a way for all client backup data to report back to a single centralized dashboard or central console. It also offers an easy overview of backup success and failures. In addition, this centralized console allows businesses to completely manage the backup process, which includes schedules for backups, alterations to files to be backed up, and restoration of data. All these can be performed from a single location.
- Increased security: Offsite backup eliminates the risk of losing client’s data in the event of a local disaster such as a fire, flood or theft, by ensuring that all data are encrypted as they are backed up. It also ensures that the data is transferred securely over the internet and reaches its final destination securely, storing it in a highly secure data centre.
- Low bandwidth: Most latest offsite backup software reduce the bandwidth amount required to transmit enterprise data off site by applying three effective techniques: only transmitting the sections, or bits, of the file that have been changed, local de-duplication of data to make sure that only essential data are transmitted offsite, and effective compression of data before transmitting it offsite.