Top Uses for Consumer Cloud Storage
Consumer cloud storage services were the biggest hits of the year 2012. A research by Gartner, Inc. has determined that the need to share contents and access them from several devices will instigate consumers to begin storing one third of their total digital content on the cloud by the year 2016. The amount of consumer content stored on the cloud was 7 percent in 2011 and this percentage is expected to reach 36 percent by 2016. In the past, consumers used to store all their contents on their PCs. But, with advancements in technology, consumers started using multiple connected devices, most of which contain built-in cameras. This has led to a huge increase in user-generated contents that need storage.
Consumer cloud storage services can be accessed like any other service on your computer, with the only difference that these services are accessed over the internet. The cost associated with using a consumer cloud storage service depends on the amount of storage space you would require, which in turn depends on the amount of data you need to store on the cloud. Most providers offer pricing packages that charge you only for the amount of storage space you need, the lower the amount of space your use, the lesser will be your monthly fee. Consumer cloud storage can be accessed easily and you can use it to share your files with other people and access or fetch back those files on various devices, such as laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc.
Types of Consumer Cloud Storage
The usage of consumer cloud storage is of three major types:
- Online storage: This method is used for conspiring and sharing files, documents or data with other authorized users and for accessing the same from anywhere.
- Online sync: Consumer cloud storage services allow you to sync all your media files across different devices. The most commonly synced media files include images, audio and video.
- Online notes: The main players of online notes are Evernote and Workflowy, which allow you to keep notes and organize your to-do list online.
You will get to use different types of cloud storage services for your various needs. These services offer an effortless and hassle-free method to store, sync, access and share all your files and data.
Uses of Consumer Cloud Storage
Following are the most popular and the best reasons why people opt to use consumer cloud storage each day:
- Jibe your favorite music using the cloud: This is a major use because there are quite a lot of music lovers out there who enjoy digital music exceptionally. You can get your favorite artist’s tracks or whole albums for just a few bucks. Most of you would want to protect your most favorite tracks and albums for years to come and in such cases, consumer cloud storage would server you best. It allows you to easily jibe your music collection. While your laptop, smartphone, or MP3 player allows you to store only a specific amount of music files, cloud storage allows you to store unlimited media files, of course with a reasonable monthly or annual fee.
- Share and access files: With consumer cloud storage, you get to share your files with anyone you wish and access all your stored files from anywhere and on any device. The cloud makes it absolutely simple to access and share any type of file you save on it. You can simply add links to those files you wish to share and by doing this; you can make a spectacle of your photos, documents, videos, and much more. It is merely impossible to share these files through email, as these are files of large sizes and most email providers allow only specified sizes of file attachments. You do not have such restrictions with the cloud.
- Instant backup: Those of you who love clicking pictures with your smartphone would often end up having large number of photos in your smartphone memory, which you would not want to lose or delete. Hence, the best idea is to set up the instant backup option on your smartphone. By doing this, all the photos you take will automatically and instantly be sent to the device of your choice.
- Manage document versions easily: Any file you create will have to encounter changes or updates sooner or later. These changes and updates become especially important if the file is for professional purpose and only you will understand the importance of the changes made. What will happen if you delete the updated file by mistake? You will have to lose your vital data. However, consumer cloud storage makes it easier to manage the different versions of your files or documents. The version control feature offered by most cloud storage providers enable you to manage all the changes made to your files easily and updates them instantly on the cloud.
- Collude with your fellow workers easily: If you are working on an important project with your offshore team, or if you are a student working with a team on a school project, you will have to share data or files of different types more frequently. Cloud storage makes this easy and hassle-free for you. With consumer cloud storage service, you can easily and quickly share the files to your fellow workers, set permissions, or provide authorization to all your team members to make changes on the stored files.
- Secure your files using encryption: Consumer cloud storage allows you to encrypt all your files before you actually transfer them to the cloud. This is to make sure that your files are secure and cannot be accessed by unauthorized users.